Pig farming is a delicate business, often prone to huge losses. In the event of death of pigs, the farmer suffer loss of income and a disruption to the tearing program. Since farmers cannot entirely control losses, pig insurance is a wise risk transfer mechanism in exchange for a small premium that can be part of the operating budget. With an ever increasing need for agricultural financing, pig insurance can serve as collateral to obtain loans from banks. This insurance gives the farmer the peace of mind to invest in pig business without the fear of financial loss.
What Is Covered?
Death as a result of any of the following causes:
• Procure a postmortem report from a certified veterinary surgeon.
• Diseases, including epidemics.
• Report the incidence of loss to us immediately but not later than 72 hours of its occurrence
• Emergency slaughter on medical grounds.
• Submit the claim documents to us within 14 days of loss which include duly completed claim
• Accidents in the farm. postmortem report and photographs of the carcases.
• Fire, lightning, flood and windstorm,
• Theft using force.
What Is Not Covered?
• Feed poisoning & nutritional conditions.
• Endoparasites and ectoparasites.
• Intentional slaughter and/or culling.
• Wild animals or other predators.
• Diseases for the first seven days from commencement of cover and for any additional new stock.
• Mysterious disappearances.
• First 5% of the total sum insured
Number of pigs X Market Value of pigs at each age as agreed at inception
• Vaccination of stock against common and prevailing diseases.
• Maintain good pig husbandry and management practices.
• Comply with local legal requirements e.g. vaccinations and quarantine.
• Maintenance of good and up to date daily production records.
In the event of an incident likely to give rise to a claim:
- Within 24hrs of loss, procure the services of a qualified veterinary doctor.
How Can A Farmer Apply For Pig Insurance?
- Contact K-LIFT
• 4% of the sum insured.
• Minimum premium of Ksh 10,085/year.
Download Insurance Form